Abandoned

Oil Springs House

This was, perhaps, the most interesting of the several houses I explored that day. So many different rooms Strange openings from one into another. All so fascinating.

Like many houses this old, and this size, there were two stairways to the second floor. This was useful since the main stairway was blocked by collapsed ceiling. The back stairs, however, were manageable if you remembered the lessons of earlier that day. Stay light, stay nimble, don't let too much of your weight rest anywhere for too long.

Inwood Road House

The GPS led us through a number of turns until finally we reached a "Road Closed" sign. Then there was the caveat... "Except Local Traffic". We're local!

We continued down the road until finally stopped by a fence kept us from going any further. We stopped at the fence and as luck would have it, only a short walk remained between the fence and our target.

East Dawn School

History: 

When this structure was built, it was originally a church in another community. When the school that was originally here burned down, this structure was moved to take its place. Grades 1 - 8 attended classes here with an average of 32 children attending at any given time.

In 1965, with the construction of two new schools serving the area, this one was closed and auctioned off to one of its former pupils.

Stubbert's Point Battery

History: 

Constructed in 1939, Stubbert's Point Battery was part of the rather formidable defense network for the protection of Sydney, Nova Scotia. The battery was originally equipped with two 6-pounder Hotchkiss guns, but was later equipped with a 6-poinder duplex quick-firing gun. In addition, three search lights were constructed here to help guard the anti-submarine net that stretched across the harbour.

Redcliff AFS

History: 

The location on which the radar station was constructed was originally a World War II coastal battery. Construction of the site began in 1952, and was completed the following year when it officially began operations. It was built, financed and operated by the United States Air Force during its complete life-span of 9 years.

NAS Argentia

History: 

Construction of Naval Air Station (NAS) Argentia began on January 25, 1941 and was completed that July. In order to build this base in anticipation of the US's involvement in World War II, over 400 families were displaced from the land by the Government of Newfoundland. While they had been paid for their property, they were uprooted from land on which generations before them had lived, and moved into other communities that were already struggling with the population they had.