Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, had an extensive collection of animals, acquired personally or as gifts from others. His son, who inherited his throne, did not share this passion. Thanks largely to the efforts of Martin Hinrich Lichtenstein, a professor at the Berlin University, animals, land and buildings were donated by the king and in 1844, the zoo was opened.
Construction of this lighthouse began in July, 1871, as granite was quarried from nearby. Advice and equipment were supplied by D&T Stevenson, an engineering firm from Scotland. With a light standing 95 feet above sea level, it could be seen as far away as 13 miles in clear weather.
From this time until the 1940's, there were six different lighthouse keepers stationed here. The building was then abandoned and slowly fell into ruin.
With Germany's quick victory over Poland, there was a division of territory according to an earlier agreement between Hitler and Stalin. The eastern portion of Poland would be given to the Soviet Union. There would be a central buffer zone, and the western portion of the country would become part of Germany.
In November, 1938, approximately 500 male prisoners were sent from the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp to begin construction of Ravensbruck. Unlike other concentration camps being constructed, Ravensbruck was intended specifically for female prisoners.
Aviation has been a part of Botwood for a very long time. As early as the 1930's, Charles and Anne Lindbergh arrived here and recommended it as a stop-over for sea-planes flying across the Atlantic Ocean. The recommendation was accepted, and air lines like Pan American began scheduled flights.