Copper mining began on this site as early as 1873.
On September 7, 1895, a fire broke out on the 27th level of Shaft 3 and was intensified by the timbers used to support the mine. At the time, over 200 people were underground. Of those, 30 people were killed, including 4 boys. All of them appeared to have died of smoke inhalation, and all bodies were eventually recovered.
According to the news reports of the day, it was believed that all should have survived, but accounts indicate that many took their times about coming to the surface believing there was no imminent danger.
The mine closed operations in 1931, as did many of the area after feeling the effects of the depression. The property was purchased and reopened in the 1950's, but closed finally in 1968 as a result of a labor dispute that broke the company.
The size of this structure was impressive, to say the least. The presence of locals prevented us inspecting the site as closely as we would have liked, but it appeared sealed tight anyway.